How to backup a SQL Server database to move it to another server
This topic describes how to create a database backup in SQL Server by using dbForge Studio for SQL Server. You can use this feature to move your database to another server.
To back up a database:
- After connecting to a required instance of the Microsoft SQL Server Database Engine, in Database Explorer, click the server name to expand the server tree.
- Either select a user database or expand the System Databases folder and select a system database.
- Right-click the database, point to Tasks, and then click Back Up. The Back Up Database dialog box appears.
- In the Connection list box, verify the connection name. You can optionally select a different connection from the list.
- In the Backup type list box, select a backup type.
- In the Database list box, verify the database name. You can optionally select a different database from the list.
Optionally, you can select Copy Only Backup to create a copy-only backup. A copy-only backup is a SQL Server backup that is independent of the sequence of conventional SQL Server backups.
If the backup type is set to Differential, you cannot create a copy-only backup.
- For Backup component, either click Database or Files and Filegroups.
To select the paths, click Add. The selected paths are displayed in the Backup to disc box.
To back up the database to a mapped network drive, create a path to a local drive and then modify it manually.
- To view or select the media options, click Media Options.
- Select an Overwrite Media option, by clicking one of the following:
- Back up to the existing mediaset
For this option, click either Append to the existing backup set or Overwrite all existing backup sets.
- Back up to a new media set and erase all existing backup sets
For this option, enter a name in the New media set name text box and, optionally, describe the media set in the New media set description text box.
- In the Reliability section, optionally select:
- Verify backup when finished
- Perform checksum before writing to media
- Continue on error
- The options in the Transaction log section are inactive unless you are backing up a transaction log (as specified in the Backup type section of the General page).
To view or select the backup options, click Backup Options. The page allows to:
- Specify optional information about the backup set created by the backup operation
- Create an encrypted backup
- Click Back Up.
- When backup is already in progress, you can interrupt it by clicking the Cancel button.
- The Finish tab displays whether the backup process has been finished successfully.
- Click Finish to close the Backup wizard.
Download dbForge Studio for SQL Server and try it absolutely free for 30 days!