Setting up Schema Comparison
Comparing Two Schemas
Open the New Schema Comparison wizard, click New Schema Comparison on the Start Page.
Click the Type fields and select what you are going to compare (two databases, or a database and a snapshot, or two versioned snapshots in your version control system) from the drop-down lists. There are three options: Database, Snapshot, Versioned Snapshot.
When you select Database in the Type field, perform the following steps:
- In the Connection field, specify Oracle Server connection.
- To add a new connection or edit the existing one, click the Connection field and then click Browse.
- In the Connection Manager that opens, do the following:
* click New to establish a new connection
* click Edit to modify the existing one
- Select the connection and click OK.
When you select Snapshot in the Type field, perform the following steps:
- In the Snapshot field, either select a snapshot from a drop-down list or click Browse to add another snapshot.
- To create a new snapshot, click New.
- In the Create Scripts Folder or Snapshot dialog box that opens, create a new snapshot. For more information about how to create a snapshot, see Creating a New Snapshot in Schema Compare.
The Versioned Snapshot functionality is now available only for TFS and SVN. Though other version control systems are available for selection, you will be notified that the ‘Specified Version Control System is not supported’.
When you select Versioned Snapshot in the Type field, perform the following steps:
- In the Repository field, do either of the following options:
- Click the arrow icon to select a source control repository from the drop-down list.
- Click the plus icon to create a new source control repository in the Source Control Repository Properties dialog box.
- Click the more option icon to specify source control settings in the Source Control Repository Properties dialog box.
- In the drop-down list of the Repository field, you can click Manage to select the available repository from the Repository Manager dialog box. There you can create, edit, and delete repositories.
- In the Snapshot field, select a snapshot for comparing.
- In the Revision field, select a revision for comparing. To select the latest (head) revision, click the cross icon.
- In the Schema Mapping grid, specify the required objects mapping.
- (Optional) If you want to ignore some schema options during comparison, go to the Options wizard page.
- (Optional) On the Object Filter tab, select the types of objects you want to compare.
- (Optional) Use the Search field to find a specific object.
- To launch the comparison, click Compare.
- To save your time while selecting Source and Target databases, you can copy the details from one side of the wizard to the other by clicking - to copy Source database details, and - to copy Target database details.
- To swap the Source and Target databases, click .
- To close the wizard and cancel the comparison, click Cancel.