Schema Compare comes with a free add-in for SQL Server Management Studio that allows you to compare and synchronize databases (including versions from source control) right from the Management Studio Object Explorer.
The Schema Compare add-in is bundled with the Schema Compare. When you run the installer of the tool, make sure the necessary checkbox to install the add-in is selected.
To compare two databases via add-in in Management Studio, do the following:
1. In Object Explorer, right-click a database you want to compare and click Set as Source:
The dbForge Schema Compare tab appears, with the database you selected as the source displayed in the leftmost pane:
2. To select the target database, use either of the following options:
To swap the source and target databases, click .
3. Click to start the comparison.
4. Schema Compare launches, displaying the New Schema Comparison window, where you can configure the comparison options for your project.
The Schema Compare SQL Server Management Studio add-in enables you to compare and synchronize source control versions of databases.
To set a version from source control as a data source or target, do the following:
1. On the dbForge Schema Compare tab, select Source Control as a type of a source or target for database comparison.
2. In the Repository box, select a database linked to Source Control or click < Manage > to specify a repository URL.
3. In the Version box, select a specific revision from the source control history or select the latest revision.
4. Click to start the comparison.
5. Schema Compare launches, displaying the New Schema Comparison window, where you can configure the comparison options for your project.