Connecting to a database
Before you can connect to a database, you must create a server connection.
To create a connection:
- On the Database menu, click New Connection. The Database Connection Properties dialog box opens.
- From the Server combo box, select the server you want to connect your database to.
- Select the Authentication type.
- Enter the login credentials in the Login and Password fields.
- In the Database combo box, type or click the name of the database which you want to connect to.
- In the Connection Name text box, the connection name should be generated automatically from the host name. You can create a distinctive name for your new connection.
- (optional) You can assign a document category to the new connection.
- (optional) Switch to the Advanced tab to configure additional connection properties.
- (optional) To verify the connection, click Test Connection.
- To create the connection, click OK.
Windows connection coloring
Window connection coloring allows you immediately to know which server you’re connected to. You can add coloring for each server connection in the Document Category field of the Database Connection Properties dialog box when setting the database connection properties.
Edit a database connection
To edit a database connection:
- In Database Explorer, right-click the connection you want to edit and select Modify Connection.
- In the Database Connection Properties window that opens, update the connection settings and click Ok.
Delete a database connection
To delete a database connection, in Database Explorer, right-click the connection you want to delete and select Delete.