How to Import Data from an XML File to SQL Server
Data Import Wizard pages can slightly differ due to the product you have been using.
- For a new table, on the Database menu, click Import Data. In Object Explorer, right-click a database, point to Data Pump, and then click Import Data. The Data Import wizard opens.
- Select XML import format and specify a location of Source data. Click Next.
- Specify a SQL Server connection, a database, a schema and a table to import the data to. Click Next.
- Preview the Source data and specify additional options to customize the import:
- Check that the Source encoding is set correctly.
- Select from the drop-down list a tag that identifies a table row in the Source data.
- Select Consider tag attributes as table fields, if required.
- Specify data formats for the Source data and click Next.
- Map the Source columns to the Target ones. If you are importing the data into a new table, Data Pump will automatically create and map all the columns. If you are importing into an existing table, only columns with the same names will be mapped, the rest should be mapped manually. (If no columns with the same name are found, they are mapped in succession - the 1st column in Source with the 1st column in Target, etc.)
See the Target columns in the top and the Source columns at the bottom of the wizard page. Click Source column fields and select required columns from the drop-down list.
To cancel mapping of all the columns, click Clear Mappings on the toolbar. To restore it, click Fill Mapping.
- If you are importing to a new table, you can edit the Target column properties by double-clicking them in the top grid. Select the Key check box for a column with a primary key and click Next. Note you should select at least one column with a primary key, otherwise some of import modes on the Modes wizard page will be disabled.
- Select an import mode to define how Data Pump should import the data. Click Next.
- Select how Data Pump should handle errors during import and whether you want to get a log file with details about the import session.
- Click Import and see the import progress. Data Pump will notify you whether the import completed successfully or failed. Click the Show log file button to open the log file.
- Click Finish to finish the import and close the wizard.
You can save the import settings as a template for future uses. Click the Save Template button on any wizard page to save the selected settings. Next time you should only select a template and specify a location of the Source data - all the settings will be already set. For more information, go to Saving and Using Templates topic.