Setting up data generator
This topic describes how to set up Data Generator to generate test data.
It is recommended to back up the database that you are going to populate before you generate the data. You can adjust the settings and repeat the data generation if you are not satisfied with the results. To generate data, first select a SQL Server instance and a database you want to populate.
To generate data:
- On the Standard toolbar, click New Data Generation.
- Specify the connection and select a required database.
- Click Next. The Options page will appear.
- On the Options page, set required options.
- Click Execute. The following page displays data generation result.
You can specify the tables that you want to populate by selecting the check box that is located next to the table name. Further, you can define how you want the data to be generated: click the table name in the tree view and specify the details in the settings pane. All the changes are displayed in real-time.
6.On the Data Generator toolbar, click Generate Data.
The Output window will open, where you can:
- select the Open data population script in the internal editor option to add custom data to the database.
- save the SQL script to a file
- run the script automatically
Select a required option and click Next.
- On the Options tab, configure the synchronization options. Click Next.
- The Summary tab allows you to see the details of an error or warning.
When you are setting up the tables and columns that you want to populate, SQL Data Generator displays warning and error messages to inform you when there may be a problem with the data generation.
- Click Generate to finish the process.